Friday, August 21, 2009

fueling for endurance events

people all the time are asking me what i eat when i do my crazy workouts. In my 'off time' in between workouts i eat pretty freakin good. I have become very disciplined lately and i like the results that i am getting. I do allow my self one small treat per day, around 5-6 in the evening usually after my 2nd workout of the day and before my ride home from work. I used to love treats and still do, but i definitely feel the effects of eating junk food. No mi gusta. Sure i could eat whatever i want, but my performance suffers.

Now when i am working out thats a different story, especially when i am going long. I eat whatever sounds good. In race situations i tend to be very careful so not to upset the balance. After all any time you go for more than 10 hours you are bound to have some sort of stomach problems, but you pull back a little, take in some salt etc and your back on track. Or you throw up and feel better then keep going.

So last night i left work at 8.30 pm and rode for 5.5 hours. Did the alpine loop up american fork, then south fork, then squaw peak and then home out west. I like to eat crazy stuff in training because then if my stomach can take it then, when i am racing its "more trained" I like to call it GUT TRAINING.

this is what i ate last night

lara bars all natural whole food bars 4 of them
one gu razz flavor
4 20oz water bottles with prolite electrolyte
one chocolate ensure
one bagel with egg and sausage from maverick
one half pound pizza flavor hot pocket
one slim fast chocolate shake
one peanut butter cookie
one granola bar
one monster chai hai (caffeine infusion for the late night))

and when i got home at 2am i was starving

and when i woke up at 7.30 am to help get the kids ready for school my stomach felt so empty i could wrap my hands around it and touch both ends and my manorexia side loves that :)

oh the joy of endurance sports.

2 comments:

Bri!!! said...

I swear by Ensure. We use it for any long distance races we do and it's awesome. I have also eaten burritos on LOTOJA which was a nice change to the nasty sugar we had been downing the whole day.

Bri!!! said...

,