Monday, October 13, 2008

midnight running and alpine loop riding

that was great sir.......may i have another


until the snow flies which may be sooner than later, i think that the alpine loop is gonna be my weekly bread and buttah. its great to have a group of friends to ride with. Its also great to ride alone. I encourage both. With friend, they will push you physically and going solo gives you time to search the soul........oh (that was word play, read it again if you didnt catch it.)





tim collings giving his male modeling look..........i think this is blue steel


There is something so organic about the mountains, those of you who spend time in them know what i mean. its like the static and hum that fills ours lives is removed. For anyone working out i encourage getting outdoors and into the 'cleanliness' of nature. It allows for disconnect which can create the conditions that will enable the spiritual reconnect, if you seek it.


heres a short clip of the solutide so easily found in the mtns.



Wind and running


I am not a huge fan of wind. I should be, because i really love change and wind is one power of nature that brings change. Whenever people ask me about how i run so far and where did this endurance come from, i think of one word. CONSISTENCY Picture this, its Thursday night 8.15pm, I've put in a full day of work and ran 3 times already in the past 36 hours. I call my good friend Ryan Johnson and say


me......man i am tired i really don't wanna go running tonight especially for 3 hours!

ryan.....Have you been outside lately?

me......No hows the weather?

ryan....It sucks man, its freakin cold and the wind is howling!

me......oh man now i really don't wanna go.

ryan....Me neither, but i will still go if youre up for it


and thats all i need the encouragement of a good friend who also happens to be a bit crazy (bless our wives!!) Thanks ryan if you hadnt had committed i wouldnt have gone.


me....Well then thats why we are FREAKIN GOING.


When you don't want to you go. When its unreasonable, you go!!!!!!!!! that is what makes you epic that is where endurance comes from, from the times when you have to dig deep.


So yeah i put on my gear, was shivering and cold and still didnt wanna go but as soon as we started running I was in love all over again. We hit the trails, ran up the south side of the point of the mountain straight into the wind and it was fierce enough to take your breath away. We got up into the scrub oak on a narrow trail and that helped provide protection from the wind. Nice and easy ended up on top being able to see into both utah valley and salt lake valley and the 'action' at night but still in the peace of the mountains. Ended up running about 2h ours and 40 mins. VERY NICE and of course we felt better after than before. Runners high thats what its all about!!





I dont really wanna admit what i ate after my workout as snack but lets just say that when you earn a 'big maccin' reward, that reward is super tasty, especially at midnight. i have had a total of maybe 5 big macs my whole life...but honestly this burger was one of the best burgers i can ever remember.

No comments: